"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." Angela Schwindt

Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Yummy Pie With A Surprise


A couple of years ago our zucchini plants went INSANE!  We had zucchini all over our kitchen counters and could not come up with ways to use it fast enough!  We felt like we were shredding and freezing all day long.  We would beg people to take just one.  I distinctly remember taking several five gallon buckets full of zucchini to a pool party our 4H club had and praying I did not have to take them back home.  That was the day I got an amazing recipe that used zucchini.  Our 4H leader asked me if I had ever tried mock apple pie.  I asked what it was and she explained that it looked and tasted just like an apple pie but you used zucchini.  I expressed my doubt that this was even remotely possible, but she swore it was true.  I had the recipe in hand within 24 hours, and a pie baked within the next 24 hours.  I am here to tell you people that yes this pie does taste and look just like apple pie.  I love this use for zucchini!  I now freeze some of my zucchini in the slices required to make this pie along with shredding for bread.

We love making these pies for unsuspecting people.  We let them eat happily believing that they are enjoying a yummy homemade apple pie then we spring the news on them.  My husband took some to work and did this.  People argued with him when he told them it was zucchini.  They told him he was lying.  LOL!  Cracked me up!

So here is the recipe for what I like to call "Zapple Pie".

Zucchini “Apple” Pie
Use big zucchinis, but still tender enough that you can pierce the skin easily with your thumbnail.
Peel, cut in quarters lengthwise, remove the seeds and slice crosswise.
Toss together:
4 cups zucchini, cooked until tender crisp (I do this in the microwave)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
Dash salt
Mix in a bowl:
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. cream of tartar
Dash of nutmeg
3 tbsp. of flour
Add zucchini and mix well. It will be runny, but that’s okay.  Dump the filling in to a 9 inch pie crust and dot with butter.  Add the top crust and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown. 
Recipe may be doubled to make the jelly roll pan size pie “slices”.

Enjoy!

No comments: