"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." Angela Schwindt

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What A Trooper!

I was a little nervous about how today was going to go.  They told me that Jadon could not have anything to eat or drink for 8 hrs. prior to having his MRI.  They told us to be there by 11 am so I figured he would not be able to have anything after he went to bed for the night.  However, for some reason he woke up around 1 am and could not fall back to sleep.  I decided since it was before the cut off time I would go ahead and get him up, rock him, and give him a milk tippy.  Maybe keep him from being so hungry in the morning.  It took me about an hour to get him back to sleep.  The whole time I was rocking him I was praying to God to please let the NOT be the flu!  One of my daycare kids did not come yesterday because he was vomiting.  I was worried that Jadon was up in the night because his tummy hurt.  I prayed over and over, asking for God to please keep Jadon healthy so he could get his test done today!!  Once he fell back to sleep I went to bed and crossed my fingers that he would not get sick and would sleep in a little!

My prayers were answered!  Jadon never got sick and he slept until 9 am.  When he did wake up he was in a good mood.  Yes!!!  We cuddled for awhile.  We played with the dog.  Then I put in his favorite music DVD to watch while I finished rounding up everything I needed to keep him entertained while we waited.  Anyone who takes a child in for a test with no toys because they don't believe they will have to wait is setting themselves up for torture!  If there is anything I have learned through all of this is that things will not be running on time and you had better be prepared!  By the time the DVD was over I was ready to go.

Jadon and I picked up Daddy at work then made our way to the hospital.  We were signed in and then a nurse took us back to our own little waiting room.  Thankfully there was a little tv on a cart.  The cart underneath the TV was full of kids videos!  I knew they were going to be a lifesaver when the nurse said that the scan in front of Jadon's was running about an hour behind.  Fantastic!

Luckily Jadon loves Sesame Street and Blue's Clues.  He was so happy for a kid who had nothing to eat or drink for hours.  He played with some of the toys I brought but for the most part he just relaxed on one of our laps and watched videos.  He never cried.  We ended up waiting for three hours in that little room and Jadon never fussed.  I am being totally honest.  I was amazed.   I just love this kid!

He finally went to be put under general anesthesia for his scan at 2 pm.  They told us that the scan itself would be about an hour and a half.   The first thing we did after getting our beeper from the waiting room was hunt down some food!  We could not eat in front of Jadon so we were starving!!   At about 4:15 the pager went off to let us know that Jadon was in the recovery area.  One of us was aloud to go back to see him at this time.  Since I did when Jadon had his hernia surgery in July I told Matt it was his turn.  Finally at about 5:00 they paged me to say that I could join both of them.  When I got back to the room he was still groggy but was chugging apple juice.  He was draining the last little bit of is second tippy when I arrived.  They were trying to get him to eat some animal crackers but he was not interested.  Matt said that the first thing Jadon said when he woke up and saw the tape on his left hand that was holding his IV in was "Uh Oh".  LOL!  Once they check his vitals a few more times we were allowed to get him dressed and take him home.  We arrived at home around 6 pm!  Ugh!

 Cuddling with Daddy and trying to figure out what happened!
 So sleepy still!

Dinner was waiting for us!  Jadon fell asleep on the way home and slept right through it.  The last time he had surgery he slept for a long time afterwards.  He woke up around 7:30.  This time he was ready to eat!  He finished the animal crackers from the hospital,  some yogurt, grapes, and cheese.  Then he downed 2 tippys of milk.  Grandma let us borrow Toy Story 3 and we all relaxed and watched that together.  After it was over we did get Jadon in bed.  I was worried he would be to wound up.  We will see if he sleeps through the night.

Jadon enjoying some of his favorites after not eating anything ALL day!

The hospital sent us home with a copy of the scan.  We saved a copy on our computer and tomorrow will mail the disc off to Philadelphia. 


No comments: