"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." Angela Schwindt

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Where In The World is Matt? Brazil Edition Day 3

Hi Everyone!  Kiana here!  Matt just sent an update.  I was glad to hear from him.  He never called last night.  I waited, and waited, and waited.....I have no life!  LOL!  He explains  below that there is not internet at the hotel right now.  He was not able to send the pic he refers to yet either.  I will update the post as soon as I get it!! (post updated)


14Jul2010
There has been no internet all day today at the hotel.  The woman at the hotel desk told me that this was a city wide problem.  This is exceptionally bad, because it is my method of communication with home.  Luckily, the Cat factory still has an internet connection. 

I did get the hot water to work in the shower on Monday night.  I turned the cold knob way down and the hot all the way on and just let it run for about 15 minutes.  Now, I have hot water every time, almost instantly.  I don’t understand why, but as long as I can take a hot shower, I don’t need to. 

Last night, our Friend Anselmo and his son Gabe took us out to dinner.  He chose a restaurant by the river that serves fish.  Not just any fish.  The one we had was called “Filhote”.  This is a 60 kg (2.2 lbs per kg) fish found in the Amazon.  We had two steaks and it was more than enough for 6 of us.  It was slow cooked over hot coals and served with salad and white rice.  I attached a picture of one of the fish steaks after we had finished it.  You can see the skin and vertebrae still in place.  That is one big fish.  We also order a side dish of French fried cassava or yucca.  Cassava is a potato like vegetable that I found at Wal-Mart in Bloomington once.  We tried it raw, and it was horrible.  Fried, it is wonderful but what isn’t?  Dinner was great.


Dinner plays a major role in the Brazilian culture.  It appears that this is not something that should be rushed.  People end their day with it.  They start showing up at the restaurants at 8 or even later and sit and talk and slowly eat for two hours.  This aspect is nothing like home.  I am stuffed.



Photobucket

No comments: