"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." Angela Schwindt

Friday, July 16, 2010

Where In The World is Matt? Brazil Edition Day 5

Good Morning Everyone!  I slept in a little this morning.  I am starting to feel a little worn out.  Jadon has not been sleeping through the night pretty much since surgery.  We had one good night Wednesday night.  Between the restless nights and getting up several mornings at 5 to take Shelby to detassle I am sleepy.  Sleeping until 7 this morning felt good even though I woke up with Jadon by my side.   When he woke up around 3 I put him in bed with me.  It took about a 20 minutes but he fell back to sleep.  Luckily he stayed asleep when I moved him to his crib when I woke up.  Enjoying some quiet time right now!  Here is Matt's latest update!  Hopefully there are not typos that I missed.  He says I am keeping him up to late chatting on Google!  LOL!


16Jul2010
Things are going well in regards to the real reason I am in Brazil, the work at the factory.  All other aspects are fine as well.  Last night, our friend Marcos and his wife took us to dinner at a great Italian restaurant within walking distance from the hotel.  You would never believe this place would be so nice if you saw it from the street.  Inside, it was wonderful, a large open room with many windows and a brick fireplace at one end. The smell from the wood fire added to the ambiance and was just enough to make me feel like I had stepped into a different time and country.  However, the Portuguese menu brought me back to reality quickly.  The owner\chef and his wife had lived in the US for 14 years and had worked in Las Vegas and Florida.  They each were able to communicate very well in English.  They came out and personally greeted us and explained the menu items thoroughly.  I had a spaghetti dish that was very good.  Dessert was a chocolate cake and ice-cream.  The cake was very moist and almost like a mouse inside, and the entire dish was drizzled with chocolate.  This was another wonderful meal and another notch bigger on my belt.

There were three people tending to our table, not including the owner and his wife.  There were also two security guards that he hired to watch his restaurant from outside.  All of these people on the payroll and there was only one other couple in the place the entire time we were there.  Serving the six of us, and two others can’t pay the bills.  They must get very busy on the weekends.  We were there from 7:30 to 10:15, very typical for dinner hours here.

An interesting thing about Marcos, is that he is the only person in the world that I have met on 3 different continents.  I’ve shook his hand on Asia (Middle East), North America (East Peoria), and now South America (Brazil).



Photobucket

No comments: