"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." Angela Schwindt

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Toddler Talk Thursday



I know, I know....Thursdays I usually write all about how therapy went but I came across another topic that kinda goes along with therapy.  It is an important component of our therapy.  Let me explain....I was looking through some of the blogs I frequent when I saw a post reminding me that it was Toddler Talk Thursday.  Three of the blogs I follow (who all have toddlers) get together each Thursday and talk about a specific topic related to life with a toddler.  Every week they invite other mom's of toddlers to join in on the discussion and I really liked this weeks topic so I thought I would.


This weeks topic is EXTENDED FAMILY. 

I have always loved and appreciated our extended family.  We are so blessed to have a rather large amount of family living very close to us.  However,  in the last year, since Jadon's birth, I have felt that blessing fill my heart so much.  The time following Jadon's birth was such a roller coaster ride for us.  There was the joy of having this precious baby in our lives mixed with the sadness, anger, and confusion of dealing with his birth injury.  In case you are reading my blog for the first time our youngest son, Jadon, suffered a birth injury called a Brachial Plexus Injury.  He was a very large baby and during delivery his shoulder got stuck behind my pelvic bones.  The doctor pulled very hard on my sweet baby's head tearing some of the nerves in a bundle at the neck called the Brachial Plexus.  This left our sweet boy with a completely paralzyed right arm.  It has been a very long road for us and if you would like to read more about this preventable injury please visit - Jadon's Journey

During this emotional and exhausting time our family was here.  Bringing us dinner, watching our older children so we could travel to get Jadon the expert Dr.'s he needs.  Sending us cards with notes telling us how much they cared.  I am so proud of the people I get to call family.  They truly have huge hearts!  It is amazing!


Therapy and extended family for us go hand in hand.  Jadon has been in some form of therapy (physical and occupational) since he was only days old.   I would not be able to attend therapy sessions without Jadon's Grandma Cindy who comes over every week to play with the two boys I watch.  Each week she shows up ready to read, color, and entertain for two hours while Jadon, Daddy, and I go to therapy.  We have so much going on in therapy lately that it has been soooo nice for both Daddy and I to be at therapy so we are both in the loop.

We see Grandma Cindy at least three times of week outside of when she comes to play on therapy days.  We try to have her over for dinner a couple of nights a week.  Since Shelby has been in art lessons in Stanford on Tuesdays we have been taking dinner to her those nights.  I feel that it is very important for my kids to have a good relationship with their grandparents so I am very thankful we get to see her so often.

We try to stop in to visit Grandma Jan and Grandpa Brad on Friday nights when we are in town getting groceries.  Jadon loves to entertain them.  He knows just how to get them to laugh.

 Jadon and Grandpa Brad
 Jadon and Grandma Jan. 

Then there is Grandma Betty who just loves to have little Jadon come to visit.  She loves to watch him play.  She loves his hugs and kisses but he has been very stingy with them lately.  Little stinker!

 Jadon and Grandma Betty

Then there are aunt and uncles and cousins galore who just love to shower Jadon with love!  I am so thankful that we have all these people to help and support us as we raise this amazing little boy and his big brother and sister!  It truly has been a blessing! I am thankful for them all!

Thanks for Grandma Cindy I got to see Jadon do this in person today!!  

 Look at that pull!  Righty was hanging on so tight that Lefty had to let go!!
Thank you to the three mom bloggers (Life of A Sippy Cup Mom, Family and Life in Las Vegas, and Crazy About My Baybah) who host Toddler Talk Thursdays for this weeks great topic! 

Until tomorrow.......






Photobucket

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I am your newest follower from Toddler Talk Thursdays!

Such a cutie! Family members are important in our childrens lives as well as ours.

Have a good evening!
-Tammy
http://dontblink-tammy.blogspot.com/

Desirae Legerski said...

I am so sorry your family had to go through what you went through with your youngest. It seems like you have found a great support sytem within your extended family. You have a beautiful family!

Desirae

Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah said...

I am so sorry your family had to go through that. That is wonderful that you have such a great support system that lives so close to you. You have a beautiful family! Thanks so much for linking up to Toddler Talk!